Weddings: need to know
Essential information for people planning to tie the knot. Getting married involves a huge amount of planning (we don't need to tell you that!), but to help you we have put together some commonly asked questions.
You'll need to contact the Superintendent Registrar at Lambeth Council to arrange for a registrar to be present at the ceremony.
Lambeth Register Office Redfearn Centre
329 Kennington Lane London
Telephone: 020 7926 9420
Our central location makes it very easy to reach us - we are walking distance from several stations. We encourage the use of public transport wherever possible
Nearest Underground stations: Waterloo (Northern and Bakerloo lines), Embankment (Northern, Bakerloo and Circle & District lines).
Nearest Mainline rail stations: Waterloo, Waterloo East and Charing Cross. To plan your journey, please visit the Transport for London site: www.tfl.gov.uk
Parking is very limited at Southbank Centre but is available for guests with mobility issues - please contact the team to discuss arrangements. Please note that Southbank Centre is within the Congestion Charge Zone.
Wherever possible, we do our best to accommodate deliveries and collections before and after your wedding. Your Event Manager will be able to discuss this with you. Any items will need to be labelled clearly with the name of your Event Manager to ensure that they are delivered correctly.
We understand that it can be a frustration to carry around bags and coats all day, so we offer a fully-staffed cloakroom facility within your venue hire. Please note that all items are left at the owner’s risk.
Of course, we're very happy for children to attend your ceremony and/or reception.
Southbank Centre is a non-smoking venue, including the balconies and courtyards. We ask that guests wishing to smoke leave the building.
Your Event Manager will be happy to discuss your plans for dressing the room. If you're looking to attach anything to the walls or ceiling, or to have candles, please contact your Event Manager before arranging this as there may be some restrictions. Fireworks, including indoor sparklers, are not permitted anywhere on Southbank Centre’s site.
Of course! We do ask that this is limited to the room in which your ceremony takes place, and that you advise your guests not to use confetti that may stain floors, for example fresh rose petals.
Southbank Centre is fully licensed for live and recorded music. Please discuss all requirements with your Event Manager. As a civil venue, we do request that any music during your ceremony is secular.
Southbank Centre is primarily an arts venue and on occasion we may need need to impose restrictions on loud music so it does not disrupt artistic performances. Your Event Manager will be happy to advise.
Use of Southbank Centre’s furniture is included in the venue hire fee, subject to availability.
We are able to offer:
- Chairs for your ceremony and/or dinner
- Round dining tables seating 10-12
- Rectangular trestle tables, for bars or that can be combined to create a long table for dinner, or top table
- Poseur (high) tables for your drinks reception
- Cafe-style table & chairs
- Sofas (limited number)
- Coat rails
Included when you hire the Weston Roof Pavilion, St Paul’s Roof Pavilion or Level 5 Function Room:
- LED uplighters
- Upright piano
- Background music (please provide iPod, CD or laptop with music on it)
- Standing microphone
- Steinway grand piano £450 – £850 (price on application)
- DJ kit and bass / equipment for band £275 plus technician £245 – £520
- Moving lights (per unit) £60 plus technician £245
- Battery LEDs (per unit) £105 for 6
- LCD screen £105
- Projector to project onto courtyard £155
- Exclusive use of the room during your hire times
- Use of any furniture on site (subject to availability)
- Event Manager to oversee the preparation and the event on the day
- Visitor Experience Hosts to manage a cloakroom facility
- Support of our front-of-house team including a Duty Manager
- 24 hour onsite security
- Basic cleaning and porterage
- The Weston Roof Pavilion, St Paul’s Roof Pavilion & Level 5 Function Room include an integrated PA system which is suitable for playing background music or making speeches from a microphone. These rooms also include additional lighting that can be set to any colour to reflect the theme of your wedding.
We have selected a range of really exceptional caterers for you to choose from on your big day. Each of them will know the venues well and be sure to give you great service.
Please note that our two smallest rooms do not have their own food preparation areas so if you wish to hire the Sunley or Foyles Pavilions and to have food, you'll need to contact our onsite caterers (Skylon or Company of Cooks).
If you are looking for an intimate space for just your closest friends and family, the Sunley and Level 3 Function Room can both accommodate up to 50 for your ceremony. Prices available upon request. And don’t forget, our larger spaces can be used to host both your ceremony and reception within the same room.
To discuss which rooms are most suitable for your wedding please get in touch with the Events team at email@example.com
or 020 7921 0702.
Yes of course, but please note that our two smallest rooms do not have their own food preparation areas so if you wish to hire the Sunley or Level 3 Function Room and to have food, you'll need to contact our onsite caterers (Skylon or Company of Cooks).