Purcell Room refurbishment
Southbank Centre’s Purcell Room is being transformed by an extensive refurbishment project, due for completion in January 2018.
Millions of people have fond memories of performances in Purcell Room by some of the world’s greatest artists.
These include the likes of Daniel Barenboim, the Takács Quartet, Akram Khan, Candoco Dance, Margaret Atwood, J K Rowling, Marianne Faithfull and Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood.
Our Let the Light In refurbishment project will bring Purcell Room up to world-class standards so that we can continue to work with the finest established and emerging artists from around the world, and so that audiences can continue to enjoy performances for years to come.
How your support helps:
- Increase technical capacity by installing new lighting and sound equipment
- Enhance the auditoria acoustics by removing outdated technical equipment
- Installing new climate control, lighting and sound equipment
- Reupholstering the iconic black leather seats to improve audience comfort
- Restore walls, floors and ceilings to their original appearance
Your gift to our Let The Light In campaign will enable our worn-out buildings to once again be vibrant cultural spaces, but upgraded for the 21st century.