feta and spinach boregi
for the filling:
- 250g spinach, washed, roughly chopped, squeezed to remove the water
- 200g feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp dill stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
for the böreği:
- 5 filo pastry sheets
- 50g butter ghee (or clarified butter)
- 1 egg, whisked for the egg wash
- a sprinkling of poppy seeds
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/gas mark 5 and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Add all the filling ingredients to a bowl, mix well and refrigerate for 30 mins before use. The egg will set and bind the filling together.
- Open the packet of filo pastry. Lay them on a dry surface and cover with a damp tea towel. This will minimise the chance of the ultra-thin pastry drying out and cracking when you roll it. Working with one filo sheet at a time, place on a dry surface with the long edge facing you.
- In the bowl, roughly divide the filling into five portions. Place the filling along the longest edge, leaving about 2cm of room at each end. Carefully roll into a long sausage shape and generously brush with butter ghee. Then, gently arrange the long sausages into tight coils. Repeat for all five filo pastries.
- Place on a baking tray, brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped dill.